Saturday 13 November 2010

Differnt Cover, Same Book

One of my favourite books is Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist, which has been recently adapted for English speaking audiences in the form of Let Me In. I wanted to show the different book designs that have come about for this novel and how the film industry affects their design.

First book design as well as the original Swedish cover. It gives this eerie feeling of what the book is about as well as loosely illustrating one of the most prominent scenes in the book.

I belive this one is the original English translation cover and the girl on the front doesn't really convey the main vampire character. If you know the story, then you know why putting a girl with creepy eyes on the front doesn't really work.

Another English cover which I have yet to see on the shelves. This one give a better feeling for the book.
The version I have...and I really don't like it. This one was released just after the sweedish version of the film came out:

I think it's the shadow of Eli in the doorway that looks slightly awkward. I know they were trying to convey a weak looking image of Eli and then the shadow show's what it truly is.

Now this, I love! I'm probably biased because it's illustrated but this one would grab my attention more than the other covers. Unfortunately, I don't think its actually a book cover. Which is a shame.


And the latest one based on Let Me In. I actually prefer the version I have over this one because when I read a book, I like to imagine the characters myself. I don't want to be influenced by the characters portraying them. However, I'm under the assumption this cover relates to one of my previous posts using still's and movie posters on book designs. They're designed for the niche market who buys the book after seeing the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment