Monday 26 April 2010

Hetalia Axis Powers

Am I really going to make a blog post about this? Well, it's very relevant to what I want to explore during this brief. So I apologise for anything that comes across as racist and generally terrible (especially animation wise). Well, nothing can be worse than my digital module.

Hetalia: Axis Powers is a webcomic, later adapted as a manga and an anime series, by Himaruya Hidekazu. The series presents an allegorical interpretation of political and historic events, particularly of the World War II era, in which the various countries are represented by anthropomorphic characters. Hetalia is a portmanteau combining the Japanese words for useless and Italy. This is to make light of Italy's apparent cowardice during World War II.

(Allegory: Teaching lessons through symbolism)

So far, over 40 countries have been personified as human characters. In Hetalia, these characters are normally referred to by their country's name. Yet they do have real names, normally the most common name in the country.

The Axis Powers group of characters consists primarily of Germany, Italy, and Japan, who are also the protagonists of the series. <--- Hmm the enemy.

Yes I know it was a long time ago. Tragedy X time = humour
As innocent as this looks it still left a slight bad taste in my mouth. (Yes...I did watch all 57 episodes.)

Germany, Italy (at the front) and Japan in the back.

Episode one, when Germany fist comes across Italy. He's expecting this great warrior reminiscent of the Great Roman Empire (Italy's Grandfather) ...Yet he get's this:

Italy. A sissy coward who, I kid you not, say's pasta nearly once a sentence.

It never goes into the gritty details of the war. Germany is pretty much just a stereotypical blonde, and a typical German solider from the era. There's no mention of Nazi Germany or Hitler nor is it really explained what they're fighting for. You'd think in a series about World War 2 there would be some slight back story as to why there was a war in the first place! Many people, of course, all ready know why. But the thing I find most shocking about this series is that people have actually commented saying that they've learnt more from this series than in any school lesson.

I...have no words to say to that.

Yes yes, I'm taking this all way to seriously. But it was a war, and people did die and horrifically. I do wonder what veterans would think of this. However, as just a series it was amusing and it wasn't as if anything offended me just the dumbing down of the war it's self. (I actually loved England's massive eyebrows.)

I would post a video but you have to stream the actual episodes (they're only 5 minutes long).

As bad as I think it is, I still love the idea of it. Personifying countries, story telling through symbolism and just a dash of humour. I guess I just don't like the art work or the way WW2 is portrayed.

Then again, hypercritical moment, I happen to love series 4 of Black Adder.

Another "problem" I have with the series is that it's told from a Japanese perspective. That's somthing I'll talk about in my next post: Scandinavia and The World!

Now to stop this post from being so text heavy; Some Hetalia Fanart that looks better than the series:


I do love England's eyebrows. (Source)


1 comment:

  1. I'm a big fan of Hetalia myself and I'm aware that some of the history in it is not accurate. However I know that the series itself wasn't intended to teach facts about history but more of an affectionate/comedic parody of it. The majority of the series (as evidenced from the anime we both watched) is just about World History, not necessarily WWII. They cover all kinds of events like 7 Years War and The War of the Austrian Succession. Wikipedia states Hetalia as a story about WWII because the original webcomic is based on it but not anymore in the printed manga and anime.

    In short, Hetalia shouldn't be taken seriously, just sit back and enjoy the show! :D

    ReplyDelete