Thursday 29 April 2010

Yorkshirisms

So I was over on Tom's blog and I see that he's posted somthing rather relevant to my interests...

"According to statemaster.com, these are some Yorkshire/lancasterisms.

* A bit-a´snap (A snack)
* A bunch a´fives (A fist, as in, "I´ll gi-thee a bunch a´fives!" A punch)
* Ah-cud eet-an´ors (I could eat a horse; I´m very hungry)
* Ah-cud eet a´scabby-donkey tween tu Brea´t-Vans (I could eat a diseased donkey between two Bread Vans as a sandwich)
* A piece a´cake (Very easy to do)
* A puddin´ in´ t´oven (Pregnant)
* A rate gu-ard so-art (A good sort of person)
* Allus at´t last push up (Always at the last moment)
* A reet gud do (A good party/celebration/wedding reception)
* As daft as a brush (A stupid/silly person)
* As thick as two short planks (Really stupid)
* A´streak a-yellow reet darn ´is back (A coward)
* Black-as´ ace-a-spades (Very dirty)
* Bold-as-brass (Very confident)
* Box in´t corner (Television)
* Brass-necked (Very confident)
* By ecky-thump (An exclamation of surprise)
* Cleck-udders-fax (A fictional town comprised of Cleckheaton, Huddersfield & Halifax)
* Clobber-thee (I will hit you)
* Can´t fathom it (Too deep/complicated to work out/understand)
* Don´t be daft (Don´t be silly)
* Dun´t make a´ a-perth a-diff-rence (It doesn´t change it even by one half-penny)
* Eee an´t got-a-clue (He has no idea)
* Ee´s not-reet-in´ ed (He´s not right in the the head; he´s probably insane)
* Eee wor 'ard on (He was fast asleep)
* ´Er bladder´s too near ´er-eyes (Her bladder is too near her eyes = she cries too easily)
* Fair to middel-in (Situation is normal, but not good)
* Feather in ´is cap (Proud because a person has an advantage, or gained a promotion)
* Furtha a-field (Further away)
* Get thee-sen off (Leave now, or you will be late)
* Get thee-sen on (Go away)
* Get-thee skates on (Be a bit quicker)
* Gi´ over (give up/stop it)
* Goin´ dahn´t nick (Ill/bad and maybe not going to get better)
* Got-it back-uds (Got it backwards - the wrong way round - misunderstood the point)
* Got out-ta wrong side a´bed (In a bad mood)
* Got up at crack o´dawn (Got up very early)
* Head-in´t clouds (Scatter-brained - a dreamer)
* He knows which side his bread´s buttered (He´s not stupid)
* Have five minutes (A short nap)
* I can´t face it (I can´t look at it - I don´t want it)
* I don´t give two monkeys (I don´t care)
* I don´t mind if I do (I would like that)
* If tha´ dances wi´ devil, thal´ ge´t pricked wi´-is ´orns (If you dance with the devil you´ll get pricked by his horns; you will suffer if you do evil things)
* In a fix (Someone has a serious problem)
* I´ll go t´foot of our stairs! (Very surprised but not shocked)
* I´ll slap thee-daft (I will slap you until you are senseless)
* I´ll tell thee summat fer-nowt (I´ll tell you something for nothing; it´s good advice and it will cost nothing)
* It-caps owt (It beats everything)
* It´s class, that is (It´s of a high quality)
* It´s not worth a ligh´t (It´s not worth anything at all)
* It´s way out-a my league (It´s too expensive - I can´t afford it)
* It´s way out-a my league (It´s too expensive - I can´t afford it)´
* I´ve niver seen the like (I have never seen anything like it)
* I´ve seen better-legs on a-table (A woman who has ugly/thin legs)
* It´ll do thee the world a´good (It will make you better)
* I´ll have him (I will get my revenge)
* I wouldn´t a-reckoned it (I wouldn´t have believed it)
* It's nut jannock (It's not fair)
* It´s nowt but spit an´ glue (It was not very well-made)
* It´s nowt like (It´s not aynthing like the thing that you mean)
* It´s on t´other foot now (The situation has completely changed)
* Let´s be havin´ ya (C´mon, let´s go)
* Let´ sleepin´ dogs-lie (Don´t talk about it)
* Livin' tally/ower´t brush (Not married but living together as man and wife)
* Nay-er cast-a-clout, ´till May is art (Do not cast away any clothing before May is over)
* Nobbut a mention (Not enough to be talked about; not worth mentioning)
* Not a-full-shilling (A person who is not quite normal)
* Not mah cuppa-tea (It´s not something I would like)
* Not worth tuppence (An object that has no value)
* Off ´is ed (Off his head; crazy)
* One a´t lads (A good friend)
* Put´t wood in-t´oil (Put the wood in the hole = shut the door)
* Pig in a poke (A confusing mess)
* Pull t´other leg, it´s got bells on (I don´t believe you)
* Pushin´ up´t daisys (Someone is dead)
* Put a sock in-it (Stop it, or shut up)
* Put thy/thee foot darn (Go faster in a car)
* See-a-man-abart-a-dog (See a man about a dog = I have to go to the toilet)
* Sent darn fer 5 (Sent to prison for five years)
* She´s got a pod-on (She´s angry)
* Six a-one an ´arf-a-dozen a´ t´other (Equal)
* Smallest room in´ t´house (Toilet)
* Swingin´led (Swinging the lead - pretending to be ill)
* Tek a-good likeness (Is very photogenic)
* Tekkin´t mick (Making fun of someone)
* Ten-a-penny (Very cheap)
* Thar´s done-it nar! (You have ruined everything now)
* Tha´s nowt so-queer as folk (People can be strange)
* Thy´ll catch thee death a´co-ed (You will get pneumonia and die)
* Thick in´t head (Not very intelligent)
* Think on (Think about it - be careful)
* Too right (That´s absolutely correct; I agree)
* Took a likng to-it (I liked it, after a time)
* Two-pennorth (Two pence; an opinion)
* Up the golden rockers (The stairs - go to bed)
* Up yours! (Go away because I don´t care about anything you say)
* Wet me whistle (Have a drink; usually beer)
* Where´s thee/tha bin? (Where have you been?)
* Would thee/tha credi´t it? (Would you believe it?)

* Barns-lay´ (Barnsley)
* Bra´t-fud (Bradford)
* Bradistan (Bradford slang - owing to it's large Asian population)
* Brid (Bridlington)
* Cass (Castleford)
* Cunnys-brer (Conisborough)
* Donny (Doncaster)
* Doncatraz (Doncaster Prisons)
* Flam-brer (Flamborough)
* Al-i-fax (Halifax)
* Arrow-gu´t (Harrogate)
* Udders-feeld (Huddersfield)
* Ull (Hull)
* Nares-brer´ (Knarsborough)
* Lee-ads (Leeds)
* Meccy (Mexborough)
* Mecs-brer (Mexborough)
* Ro-mish (Rawmarsh)
* Scar-brer (Scarborough)
* Sheff (Sheffield)
* Silverdale (A charity holiday camp near Morecambe for slum/poor children from Leeds)
* Ta´t caster (Tadcaster)
* Tod (Todmorden)
* Wayk´feeld´ (Wakefield)
* Wi´t-be´ (Whitby)
* Yo-ark (York)

* Ar´t West (to the West)
* Back oo-erm (Back Home)
* Darn-in´t smoke (London)
* Darn-Sarth (Down south)
* Darn-tarn (Down to the centre of the town/city - also "Up-tarn")
* See-sard (Seaside)
* Up´ No-arth (Up north = home)
* Yok-sha (Yorkshire)
* Yok-sha Day-ells (The Yorkshire Dales)


* Because of the harsh conditions that many Yorkshire people were forced to live in, their only recourse was, and still is, to make fun of the situation.

* Yorkshire humour is philosophical, gently sarcastic, self-effacing and dry. It follows the rule that all good comedy is directed firstly at yourself, and then at others, or a combination of both; meaning that as much as others make mistakes, or say/do silly things, it is also possible for yourself to do the same things. The laughter generated is a combination of relief that you are not the reason for the joke, but is also heart-felt sympathy for the person that the joke is directed aginst.

* "If tha´ can laff... t´ole world laffs wi´-thee, bu´t if tha´-crys, tha´ll cry alone."

Translation: (Laugh, and the whole world will laugh with you, but if you cry, you will cry alone).

Thanks Tom!I knew quite a few of those (being from the North like Tom. As well as the mottos and sayings, and the general lingo.)

No comments:

Post a Comment